Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Blisters and Bye-byes

In just over an hour I'll be headed to Tel Aviv to catch a plane to Greece.  It's hard to believe our time in Israel has come to a close.  This beautiful land has sustained me for 2 months - It's given me food and water and air to breathe.  It's people have opened their doors with welcoming arms, they've taught, enlightened, and explained.  I've seen examples of intense love as well as painful injustice.  This country begets questions from answers and is full of people dying to live.  It's also given me a front row seat into the Biblical narrative. Just this last week our group had the opportunity to walk the Jesus Trail.  The trail took us from Nazareth to Capernaum on foot.  It stretches over 40 miles and winds through fields, orchards, and villages.  Our time on the trail has definitely been one of my highlights of the whole trip.  What takes up 1 verse in the Bible, "Leaving Nazareth, he went and lived in Capernaum" took us 4 days!  It's safe to say my feet are tow-up.  But it was great following a route similar to the one Jesus would have traveled.  Also, our time hiking allowed for some serious processing of the things we've seen since coming here.

In talking about the Jesus Movement Linford has emphasized that like any other movement it should have died down following Jesus' death.  Clearly it didn't.  Something about His message has a third of the entire world's population on board.  As we make our way around the Mediterranean Sea we'll now be focusing on Paul's journey and the spread of the gospel.  If anyone knows Linford, you know that he has a few things to say about Paul.  I can't wait to soak up all that is left to learn in these last 2 weeks.

Thanks for following!
 Dem

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait till I can physically see you and hear about all that you have learned on your journey! Love you! LT

    ReplyDelete
  2. this gave me chills. I'm praying for you & missing you like crazy crazy. good grief -- friend you've been gone a long time traveling all over... all i've done is grow my hair out (it's bellow my sholder blades). i'm actualy so shocked by how soon it is you'll be back. wow. well this is the longest pose in history -- one last thing. i love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on getting accepted into grad school. Can't wait to see you. Your writings in this blog make me think you could be an author. You write like a journalism student. I loved being there vicariously through you. Safe travels dear and see you soon. God's blessings with you. I love you more than words can say.
    Aunt Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you used the word 'begets'

    You do have a way with sharing stories dem. Thanks for consistency.

    O, the footsteps. Miss you.

    Love,
    Jacks

    ReplyDelete