Sunday, January 31, 2010

Playing in a Sandbox

Hello Everyone!

It's been a while since my last update because I have been in the desert!  And the desert is a desolate, dry, beautiful place.  After visitng Luxor, Egypt we crossed from Africa into Asia and headed toward the Sinai wilderness.  We arrived early afternoon and geared up to climb Mt. Sinai.  This needs to be said; Moses was a stud.  I naively thought that my sherpa and backpacking days would have prepared me well for a day hike, but it was hard.  And to imagine Moses didn't have a well laden path to follow.  One thing is for sure, our God is a God of adventure.  Climbing to the top was a dangerous, captivitating adventure.  If God had chose He could have handed Moses the ten commandments while he was safely on the ground, but no, He called him to the very top of a rugged mountain. 


After singing at the top and watching the sunset we came down the moutain and spent the night near Saint Catherines monastery (the oldest in the world).  The following day we crossed the Red Sea (by ferry, not foot) into Jordan.  We spent a day in Petra and then went into the Wadi Rum desert.  And when I say into I mean literally into the middle of the desert.  We stayed at a Bedouin camp, sleeping under the stars in Bedouin tents.  This was definitely one of the highlights of our trip I was most looking forward to.  Our first day there we took an off roading jeep ride through the desert making a few stops to climb rocks, run over sand dunes, and explore caves.  We ate delicious Bedouin lamb cooked by burying it with coals and allowing the sand to conduct its heat.  Yesterday we rode camels nearly the whole day.  My inner thighs can attest to it.  I have a whole new outlook on the Israelities!  Although I didn't complain, after a week of camel riding, hot sun, and limited water, you can bet I'd be tempted to whine.  To think that the Israelites spent 40 years in this desert...




9 comments:

  1. It so wonderful to read of your cross cultural studies. I love your writings and of course I love you more than words can express. Can't wait to see pictures when you return.
    Blessings to you.
    Aunt Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hon,
    It was wonderful hearing your voice today. Loved hearing about all your adventures especially the camel riding. Tell your classmates that they need to send a picture of you and your "little babies" prancing through the desert. I bet you would have given anything for a soak in the hottub after that excursion. Can't wait for the next chapter. Love you more xoxox Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am giddy with excitement about the experiences you are living Sarah Dem! And you look gorgeous after climbing Mt. Sinai! Thank you for continuing to share your experiences and all that you're learning! Much love! LT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey beautiful girl, We are happy to tag a long and get a glimpse at some of your amazing experiences and breathtaking sights. You're in our thoughts and prayers. Love you whole bunches. Aunt Lu & Uncle Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for clarifying which mode of transportation you used to cross the Red Sea. I, for one, would have wondered.

    Miss you, as usual. Thanks for the updates!
    Love you,

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  6. tight inner thighs?... don't you mean crotch-of-steal. ;-)

    i'm following you and missing you like a fat kid... 50 cent was right. i thought you could you a drop of pop culture. i love you dem, life's not the same without you and we're all just trying to get along. praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are incredible. sorry I'm a little late in stalking your lovely little blog page. Really though...I wonder what Moses looked like with his shirt off after reading the stud comment. Is that bad? Miss you a lot as always & thinking of you a lot lately. Please write down all your random & uncensored thoughts so I can read them at a later date, you make me laugh like no one else. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you are enjoying the sun. It is snowing again and they are predicting 10-20 more inches. I ordered snow pants for Dad and I yesterday.Uggggg. So did you give your host parents a hug for me? Can't wait to see the latest pictures. Keeping you et all in my daily prayers. God's peace. Love you more....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey There Sarah. It is your cousin Michelle in NH. You are so lucky to be having this wonderful experience. I love reading about all your adventures. Aunt Linda and Uncle Phil also saw your pictures and wanted me to say hi to you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your group. Stay safe and we love you!!!

    ReplyDelete