Sunday, February 7, 2010

Beit Sahour - "House of Shepherds"

Silent anticipation built as we left Jordan and entered Israel. We curved and climbed and went through a tunnel and then there it was, the old city of Jerusalem. We stopped near the Mt. of Olives and overlooked the land. Olive trees, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher, the Dome of the Rock, palm trees, sheep, the garden of Gethsemane, and in the distance beyond Bethlehem was Beit Sahour. This would be our home for the next few weeks. We loaded the bus again to travel the 4 miles from Jerusalem into Palestine. As we crested a hill our eyes met the wall. A 26 ft high, grey, concrete wall separating states, religions, and cultures. We had a rather effortless entry due to a push for international tourism. But we watched on as the adjacent checkpoint was lined with Palestinians attempting to enter back to their homes by foot.
We arrived and were met with open arms into our host families. I am living in Beit Sahour with a wonderful family that gives a whole new meaning to hospitality. They have 5 girls - quite a difference for someone with 3 brothers! Life goes on here as usual: homework, sports, laughter, whining, sibling rivalry, meals, bedtimes... I feel so privileged to get a glimpse into something Americans often hold so private. These people would open their house to all of EMU if we could fit.

It's been less than a week since we've arrived, and Beit Sahour has quickly become to me a place of paradox. This land is full of questions and answers, pain and joy, belief and struggle.
Among lectures and Arabic lessons we made a trip to the Church of the Nativity, the traditional site of Jesus' birth. Speaking of paradox; the creator of the world came to us as a baby! My view on the character of Christ continues to expand. There is something special about this land and there are no easy answers to the conflict that saturates it. The more we learn the more complicated it seems. But I'm reminded of Isaiah 55:8 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. My trust is in the Lord and His ability to reconcile all things.
 
Overlooking an Israeli settlement in Bethlehem.

6 comments:

  1. WHAT? NO SNOW?? You need to come home and help shovel! Enjoy the heat while you can. Please tell your host family how thankful your Daddy and Mom are for them putting up with you. We've just about finished remodeling your room. We broke through the wall and now have a huge master bedroom! The dogs have taken over your bed and just love putting socks on it. The new wallpaper has pictures of all the holidays on it. Can you tell we miss you? Lastly, now that your not around, Josh's true colors have come out and we need to talk! Love Daddy (I <3 U)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Mr. Demaree!

    Oh Sarah how I miss you! Your host family sounds beautiful-do they have room for another girl? Big Love is not remotely the same without your presence.

    So much missing you in the states!

    Love,
    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your dad's comment I feel like it's necessary to say that you possibly gagged when you read the holiday picture comment. I shuddered. Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your dad's comments, and love reading your updates. It is neat to be able to picture right where you are! Say hello for me :)

    You're in my prayers.Miss you
    Love, margo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Sarah I miss you! I hope you have a wonderful time and are able to really truly experience a different culture! I love that you're keeping a blog... I'll be a faithful follower =) and I'm praying for you and if you can get letters let me know and I will write a lovely long piece about our three feet of Pennsylvania snow! Loves!

    ReplyDelete